 General / 34224
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:10:25 GMT

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> writes:
In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
Without some sort of Town or City sets designed for an older age
bracket (6-12), then they have simply designed a way to go nowhere.
No, they've designed a way to go somewhere other than town.

True, in that they don't have to bridge to Town, or at least not Town as we
think of it.  But I fail to see the "bridge" from Jack Stone to anywhere
else either.  I still do not see how these themes-for-younger-children
somehow lead into collecting later themes.  How do themes like Jack Stone
bridge a gap between Duplo and, say, Harry Potter?  To Star Wars?  To LoM ?
To Studios?  To Soccer?  To Adventurers?  ...I'm not seeing it...

Playing devil's advocate here: kids like to feel artificially "big".
Switching from Town Jr. to Star Wars is a "big kid" kind of thing.
Switching from Town Jr. to regular Town sets doesn't have that kind of
prestige.  A smooth transition doesn't let the older kids feel superior.

I think Town sets would be great to have more of.  But I am not
convinced that kids would want them nearly as much as adults.

--Bill.