 General / 34212
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:00:01 GMT

"Richie Dulin" <rdulin@mailandnews.com> writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
And apparently Bionicle is selling like crazy.  But does that make it right
for the company to abandon its sense of reason and pursue only fad toys?

Abandon it's sense of reason to sell something that is "selling like crazy",
they are a toymaker not some benevolent institution.

It's risky.  bit like day trading - when you're hot, you're hot, but
when things aren't going so well, you can be ruined easily.  What if
Lego plowed millions into a new fad toy that never went anywhere?

There is little or no intermixing with their
traditional LEGO bricks.

And my daughter doesn't mix her System with her Duplo... and my friends as a
child didn't mix their Duplo with their System (though it wasn't called
system then.) Duplo can mix with System, so is it a crime if it isn't?

I tend to keep my technic seperate from my System.

I keep my Expert Builder pieces separate, but mix my Lego Pre-School
in with my LEGOLAND pieces.  (I can never keep up with these changes
in product names...)

I'm old enough to have LEGO memories from the early '70's.  They are my best
memories and my most cherished.
Which was my point. The older they get, the more cherished they become. The
summers were hotter, the hailstorms more intense, the watermelon sweeter and
the school holidays longer when I was five. Or at least that's what my
cherished memories tell me, meteorological and school records would probably
disagree (that leaves the watermelon, though ;-))

Cue "Sonata for micro-violin".  Have you ever read Billy Collins' (US
Poet Laureate) poem "On Turning Ten"?

I doubt that if I ever have kids they will
have the same warm fuzzy feeling about the junk the company is turning out
these days.  If things get any worse... we will play with my collection of
bricks and won't be buying any new sets.

My daughter and her friends get pretty excited about LEGO products today.

Girls playing Lego?  I'm glad to hear it.  I hope they aren't
ostracized at school for playing with boy toys.. (sorry, I *said* that
was a rant for another day.)

--Bill.