 General / 34204
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:50:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
If they read the instructions at all.  From what I've heard from some
parents, the Bionicle 'stuff' is so simplistic the kids often don't even
need the instructions to assemble them.  And once assembled, I've also heard
that they don't take them apart, other than to build hybrid Bionicles, with
other Bionicle parts.  There is little or no intermixing with their
traditional LEGO bricks.

If you think it's bad that kids don't mix the Bionicle parts in with the
rest of their LEGO collection, you'll just love this: I asked an 8-year-old
kid that I know what his favorite toys were. His answer: "LEGO, G.I. Joe,
and Bionicle." He didn't even know/realize that LEGO makes Bionicle!

It's one thing to try to expand your brand, but when you "expand" it so far
that your target audience doesn't recognize the association between your old
products and new products, you *weaken* the brand! Why can't TLC grasp that
concept?

I suppose this is just an expanded "me too" follow-up to the posts that LEGO
seems to have lost even more of their focus this year.

--
Jeromy Irvine
http://www.accuvera.com/lego/