 General / 34217
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:20:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Thuma writes:
A general response to all that has been said in this thread.
So LEGO Group has tried to bridge this gap with Town Jr. and Jack Stone.
But where does this bridge to??
To a myriad of other LEGO products.

Without some sort of Town or City sets designed for an older age
bracket (6-12), then they have simply designed a way to go nowhere.
No, they've designed a way to go somewhere other than town. LEGO doesn't
have to be town.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

I don't totally agree with that assesment.  Look at Life on Mars....
its Town (Jr.) in Space - with a bit of space, mecha, and aliens interwoven.
Look at its predecessor....Space Port.  (Same characters, same designs)

Look at Alpha Team, its a bunch of characters running around in "stylish"
advanced weaponry (and Lego had always gone with the fact that they wouldn't
put out violent toys technologically past World War 2.  Hmmm.....
some would clearly argue that Alpha Team is a sub-theme...even though there
are no buildings, save for the Ogel Command Center.

Look at all the adventure sets, clearly this too could be closely linked to
Lego Town. You could argue the other way that it is a seperate theme in itself,
but as I said, it has a look of town....buildings, vehicles, and characters.
Just in a different time, and / or place.

I don't think I need to go on, there is a lot of off-shooting.  And like
LOM, somewhat of a intermixing of "classic lines".  This can be good if done
right, or horribly wrong....

And then there is the latest results, no matter how you skew it, the results
in my opinion, showed strong interests in renewed product lines for town
(not City)....town.

Just some food for thought....

Benjamin Medinets