 General / 34229
RE: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:53:47 GMT

Todd Thuma writes:
Children today are not that imaginative. Trust me,
imagination has been replaced with toys that talk more, emit
more sounds, do more and generally are supposed to cost less
than $10.00.

A 3 year old will still tell you that one twig she's digging in the dirt
with is a shovel, and the other twig is a rake.  But maybe that's just
the kids I know... I'm sure there are still plenty of kids who think the
cardboard box is a heck of a lot more fun than whatever came in the box.
Seems to me that kids just don't have a chance to discover that same
versatility that a stick or a box have in current LEGO sets because all
the new stuff is so specifically oriented around looking "real" or
fitting some storyline.  Let the kids make up their own stories instead
of force-feeding them some marketing crap.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
www.bldesign.org