 General / 34207
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:31:47 GMT

"Benjamin Medinets" <bmedinets@excite.com> wrote in message
news:GnKL1K.4ww@lugnet.com...

With all this, Lego had a "disappointing year" (actually its worst yet).
This year we saw the introduction of the legends line-up (guarded inn,
metroliner & club car), the introduction of Jack Stone and Creator Lines,
Bionicle, the introduction of Harry Potter, the expansion of its train
line....don't forget new sets for Starwars...Plus it has reintroduced a • few
"classic" sets from its "core line".

Its interesting you call this the worst year yet, and at the same time we
got Legends and Classic stuff.  Sad thing is, its true.

The legends line again was a nice concept, and the "classic" line was also
helpful in this path to returning to its core line.  However, I have read
a LOT of opinions on Lugnet that say, that most enthusiasts (mainly adult • ones)
have said they would like Brand New Designed sets based on Classic "Core"
designs / no juniorization.

Yup.  Even though I LOVE the re-introduction of some of the best sets, it
would be much better if they returned to their core values and made
non-juniorized sets.

On the topic of juniorization, its not just epidemic in LEGO, its epidemic
in society as a whole.  I was talking to a mom the other day who told me she
buys her youngest kids vintage Fischer-Price off of eBay because the new
stuff is juniorized in comparison.  But don't stop there - juniorization can
even be found in the progression of the Microsoft operating system.
Everything more integrated, everything simpler, its pre-fab and you can't
customize as many things, for making it 'easy.'  Insulting products like PJ
Squares, pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Juniorization is an epidemic, a dangerous one.  We're allowing ourselves to
become dumbed-down as a society, and the mindless consumers who drive the
market are eating it all up and asking for more.

I'll quit before I get too far off the topic of LEGO.

Glancing around other news releases, both at lego.com and here at • LUGNET,
it seems to me that many of them focus on how wonderful it is that the • world
famous TLC is joining forces with yet another non-toy company -Microsoft,
Universal Music, Disney, Warner Brothers, etc., etc.  I know how exciting • it
can be to have your hands on so many things.  I know how expanding into • so
many genres can seem like an extension of the LEGO philosphy.  But one • must
ask, are they trying to do too much at once?

LEGO siding with big business.  How sad.  Microsoft invades privacy and
monopolizes the computer industry, the record labels exploit artists and
overcharge music to fatten the wallets of the execs, and Disney/Warner Bros
are just another wing of the media conglomeration pumping the corporate
agenda down our throats.

LEGO's core values put them above that, I think.  I wish they were living up
to their core values in their actions.

I know they have to survive as a company, I know they have to put food on
the tables of their employees.  But, I think there's a better way of doing
that than stooping to some of the levels they have.

We have such potential in a relationship with LEGO Direct, but the rest of
the company is seemingly inaccessible.  Its great what LD is doing in
soliciting our opinion, and I understand they can't always give the feedback
we want (though that should be a higher priority of theirs).  But the
company as a whole continues straying from what made them great and
succombing to the popular culture dumbed-down media-infused toy mindset.

-Tim