 General / 34193
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:14:13 GMT

John & Allan,

You both have thoughtful things to say.

Coincidentally last night I was reading the front page of the Ultimate Book,
the one where Kjeld makes the hollow promises about what Lego will stand for
in 2005. (By the way, since DK Books have riddled this whole book full of so
many half-truths and substituted wishful thinking for fact-checking, Kjeld's
hollow promises read like they were drafted by the DK folks. Who knows? OK,
I know, they were publicized elsewhere.)

All the Lego employees I have met have impressed me with their knowledge and
good judgment about their individual jobs. But for the company as a whole, I
have given up hope. Hope, I think, is for the insiders, who can back it up.
We're only fooling around when we imagine we know how to fix things
*inside*. Waste of time.

I have carried around an alternating mixture of hope, disdain, and
brick-buying frenzy since [insert BURP adventure episode Y here]. The past
few days I've spoken with too many parents, too many to keep any shred of
hope. Maybe it's early holiday depression.

Maybe it's the layer of DIRT on the Lego sculptures in Times Square!
Fan-freaking-crying-out loud, is it up to us FANS to fix this too?

Another rant, which I wrote last night and buried in a private folder, sees
a lot of good things in Megabloks. Times Square cemented that. Ninja Robots
are flying off the shelves there, and their full line of sculptures is
better positioned. I have gone over to the dark side. Megabloks rule in
Times Square!

(I'm speaking of the grand opening of the Toys R Us Flagship Store, the one
that goes head-to-head over the top toe to toe with FAO Schwartz. The one
where Megabloks is spending all their co-marketing dollars and getting it
right.)

Allan's phrase stayed in my head, "the 2001 catalogue is a textbook of the
company's problems."

I'm not waiting for the 2002 catalog. I'm more interested in _Modern
Plastics_ January 2002 issue (is it just growing up?).

Curiously, since I lost hope over the past week, my energies are uniquely
redoubled toward my own projects. In the end, I still have a lot of bricks,
and bricks=LEGO. Right?