 General / 34226
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:34:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
The Disney company is currently running TV ads to celebrate the 100th
birthday of Walt Disney.  One of the ads has a group of adults spontaneously
breaking into the theme from the Mickey Mouse club.  The tag line read by
the narrator speaks to them and tells them, "You were the first Disney
generation."  This is a company that remembers that it's audience grows up a
little each year.  Yes, replaced by new members, but many of the former kids
end up as adults who long to return to fond memories.  LEGO could make money
money and more money if they could only understand this principle.  And if
they're not in it for the money... than just do it because it's the right
thing to do.  Either way... everyone wins.

Let's not use Disney as an example.  My wife is to Disney as many of us here
are to LEGO, and it appears that Disney may have even bigger problems that
LEGO does in retaining it's adult market.  The commercials you refer to are
for events at Walt Disney World to celebrate what would be Walt's 100th
birthday.  Too bad he never saw Walt Disney World, while the park he walked,
lived, and worked in, Disneyland, and that many of their adult fans grew up
loving, has almost nothing planned.  Combine that with executives focused
only on the bottom line, and not on quality or history and you get a company
that is seriously alienating some of there biggest fans.  If you're
interested in what's going on, spend some time at MousePlanet.com, or even
LaughingPlace.com (somewhat the Disney equivalents to LUGNET) to see what
the fans are saying.

My apologies... I should have been more clear on why I was using Disney as
an example.

I was giving Disney credit for the simple act of 'recognizing' their adult
fan base.  What they do or do not do beyond that isn't really of much
interest to me.

When it comes to the LEGO company, their job is easier.  They already have
easy converts to adult fans.  They need only reach out (a little further)
and make some significant connection.

I can't make this happen. But I can continue to campaign to the company to
please recognize not only their adult fans but also their own history.  They
seem to be turning their backs on their own best attributes.  Weird.

Allan B.