 Castle / 12204
Re: Help! I'm being overrun by minifigs!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 21:58:35 GMT

Yes, as both Aaron and Bruce said, these things are a matter of taste.
Personally, I enjoy the Wolfpack because the sets provide a crest for a
small but important faction in my story (named, appropriately, the
Wolfpack...original, huh?)... But alas, the story calls for only seven
characters of that group, and so all my extras have been converted into
peasants and such by flipping the arms and hiding the crest behind capes or
backpacks.

I think as long as you swap out the eye-patch faces on them, and perhaps
some of the hoods, you could easily have a faction with a unique crest -the
wolf.  As far as how they get the crest on their chest, it is the same as
the other factions that have a chest-crest: They are wearing either tunics
or a cheap-leather armor that has been painted in some way.  With the
wolfpack, it is more likely leather, since they have a lot of brown...

As far as the other sub-themes go, I think the Black Monarch (Rampant
Dragon) is my favorite for larger forces.  They have the scale mail, and
their guards look great if you modify and give them a mostly black-and-red
color scheme.  Plus, their best knights have the armor vest piece, which I
think makes them look more muscular.

As for Knights Kingdom/King Leo, although the sets are not so great, the
figures are pretty cool.  The little polybag set with the single
kettle-helmeted soldier is perfect for army building.  ...Although I would
agree that the face on the Bull guys would only be useful in a fantasy
setting (as opposed to the historical).

Everything else you guys listed is about where I would put it for ranking
cool castle figs...

Cheers,
-Hendo

In lugnet.castle, Aaron Dalan writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

And wolfpack? I never quite figured out how they fit in.  I see
them as bad, juniorized replacement of the peasants.

I don't understand the "juniorized" comment at all, though.  Seems like a
definitive abuse of the term.  :-)

Maybe I can explain...I think wolfpack are juniorized because, while similar
to peasants from the earlier lines, they are more "cartoony" and
specialized.  While a couple of "old-school" peasants could fit in well in a
number of different scenes and roles, the wolf pack guys seem more limited,
and less connected historical realism.  And how did they get a picture of a
wolf on their chests, is that a T-shirt or what?

Of course questions like this are a matter of taste.  I didn't mean to rip
on your sense of style, so no offense meant.

Aaron