Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:46:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, John VanZwieten writes:

Your mention of L3P brings up a potential problem with clone brick dats.  If
rendered using L3P & POV at the highest "quality" setting, all the studs will
have "LEGO" written on them.  IMHO, this would be very uncool.

A possible solution would be to create your own "CSTUD.DAT" which would
prevent L3P from adding the "LEGO" to the studs of clone bricks.

Asside from that, I guess I would treat clone bricks much like other
unofficial part files:  acknowledge their existence with links, but don't
host them directly.  Except that I think clone bricks should not be posted to
cad.dat.parts.  An off-topic.clonebrands.dat group would be much better.

  It's funny you should mention that; I had the same thought once I'd
downloaded the latest version of L3P and started messing around with the
quality settings.
  If I were to use a CSTUD.DAT file, what would have to be different about it
for L3P not to label it 'LEGO'?  Does L3P recognize the "STUD.DAT" name and
automatically append the logo?  If so, would the name "CSTUD.DAT" circumvent
that function?  Would this be an acceptable course of action?

     Dave!