Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:55:22 GMT

Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
Nothing would stink
more, IMASO[1], than seeing LEGO models sprinkled with Mega-Bloks elements
and that sort of thing.  Wait -- OK, one thing would stink more than that,
IMSAO:  parts libraries containing both LEGO and off-brands.

If the parts libraries and element selection for off-brands (Mega Bloks) • or
compatible (Rokenbok) or totally other (Tinker Toys, K'NEX) systems could • be
kept totally separate from LEGO libraries, and if LEdit or MLCad worked • with
other scales and plastics, then, well, hey, All the more power to them!

  I've been trying to keep a low profile on this thread after having • stirred
the pot at the beginning, but now that I think of it, I have a few pseudo-
philosophical questions.
  There've been myriad discussions of the merits and shortcomings of • clones,
as well as of juniorized "official" pieces, and the general sentiment seems • to
be that the worst official piece is better than the best clone, for reasons
ranging from color, to plastic quality, to basic design.  All of these are
fine, of course, and reflect personal preferences that I surely won't try • to
refute.
  Throughout my ravings about my precious clone-DATs I've tried to make • clear
my wish that they NOT be included in the official roster; is this what you
mean, Todd, by your unwillingness to group clones in the LEGO libraries? • If
so, then I wholeheartedly agree.  The Official Updates should be exactly • that:
official updates.  However, I confess that I don't see the harm in using • clone-
DATs in rendering models.
  More to the point, even though clone-DATs obviously shouldn't be part of • the
official LDraw piece libraries, if some people want to use them, why • shouldn't
they be allowed to?  If someone rendered a particularly cool model but
included clone-DATs, would that model be cast out for lack of purity?  Some • of
the best LDraw/POV models incorporate elements and scenery that are • distinctly
non-Lego, such as fog, stars, and water.  Even L3P allows a selection of
"floors" which are not themselves of Lego.  Should all these very useful • and,
frankly, wonderful additions to virtual modelling be ousted?

Your mention of L3P brings up a potential problem with clone brick dats.  If
rendered using L3P & POV at the highest "quality" setting, all the studs will
have "LEGO" written on them.  IMHO, this would be very uncool.

A possible solution would be to create your own "CSTUD.DAT" which would
prevent L3P from adding the "LEGO" to the studs of clone bricks.

Asside from that, I guess I would treat clone bricks much like other
unofficial part files:  acknowledge their existence with links, but don't
host them directly.  Except that I think clone bricks should not be posted to
cad.dat.parts.  An off-topic.clonebrands.dat group would be much better.

-John Van