 CAD / Development / 3286
Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:58:50 GMT

At 07:31 PM 11/23/1999 , Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Tim Courtney wrote:

It sounds like Todd is pretty firm against clones on Lugnet.  I'm taking
the same stand with ldraw.org, unless there is an overwhelming majority in
favor of them [1].

Count me in the minority, then. Making parts is hard. If someone wants
to make parts I say more power to them. Perhaps making clone parts will
refine their modeling skill, which has to be a good thing for all of us.
I understand the issues but feel that some accomodation somewhere
between "anything goes" and "get your own site and don't even mention
that you have them" is where we need to be. Clones are *not* LEGO and it
should be clear that they aren't but I'd hate to be exclusionary.

And, a point of clarification, ldraw.org is positioned as the official
LDraw site. LDraw itself is a community effort at this point, with no
clearly defined center. Lugnet is clearly private property. Aren't the
situations quite a bit different?

They are clearly different situations.  Both sites are led by
individuals.  In Todd's case with Lugnet, he does own it and can make
decisions on his own about what happens to it without room for
question.  In my case with ldraw.org, I serve as the coordinator of the
project, and it is not my exclusive property.  I provide the overall vision
and push for it, and have contributed the lion's share of pages on the
site.  I don't have exclusive leadership over it, or claim to.  But the
vision of the site could include whether to include clone parts or not.  I
can say I strongly discourage it, but not absolutely forbid it.  Still, in
this case, it would take an overwhelming majority to get clone parts
integrated into ldraw.org.

That is, is it your decision what goes and what doesn't, or is it a
community decision that you're going to implement even if you don't
agree with it. I ask because I'm not sure. I'm OK either way, I think.
Maybe the site already speaks to it and I missed it.

It is a community decision for the most part.  Its technically 'everyone's
site' and not just mine [1], so I should impliment something that I don't
agree with if the majority wants it.  It would be pure selfishness to not
impliment something that the users of the site would like.  Personally, I'm
100% against clones.  Personally, I'm 100% against clone parts being
modeled for LDraw.  But ldraw.org is not my site and mine alone, its to
provide resources for the community.  If everyone else wants clone parts on
ldraw.org and I don't, its a bunch of free-thinkers against one old fart
:)  (but I think I'll have just a few more in my camp than in the other)

[1] Which it seems to me people think the other way around as far as
contributions go.  Contributions to ldraw.org have been low, and maybe
that's because they see it as my project and that there isn't room for
them.  Which is absolutely not the case.  The more contributions, the more
the site is enhanced.

-Tim Courtney
  ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org