Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:44:26 GMT

At 11:54 PM 11/24/1999 , Bram Lambrecht wrote:
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
At 09:38 PM 11/24/1999 , Steve Bliss wrote:
I've always wondered how well K'nex would work in LDraw.

Good thought.  It probably wound work quite well, just like Lego.

It would probably work well in the renderers, but you would need to
create a new editor (LEdit type program) optimized for K'Nex pieces
instead of LEGO pieces... You would probably have to use a smaller scale,
too, because K'nex constructions are rather large.  K'nex beams are also
rather flexible, so that might create some problems when modeling
(although the same problem now exists with the flexible technic
axles....)

Good observations.  A program optimized for K'Nex and a K'Nex parts library
would benefit the fans of K'Nex, but again, LDraw should focus on Lego
brand products.  If the ldraw.org /non-lego/ section *is* added, how much
exposure should such a program get?  Would it extend to something like
http://knex.ldraw.org or even http://clonebrands.ldraw.org??  Allowing the
main site to keep the focus 100% on Lego brand products, and also allowing
other collector groups to experience the wonderful software we have?  And
if it does extend to those two above suggested sites, I'm not sure if I
want to do all the work to make them look like the original site, since I
have a life too :)

-Tim Courtney
  ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org