Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 07:19:41 GMT

At 12:11 AM 11/27/1999 , Todd Lehman wrote:
I'm not against hosting imitation brand parts or libraries on ldraw.org,
since LDraw's file format doesn't have any sort of LEGO-brand requirement.
I'd *personally* be somewhat bothered to see non-LEGO stuff there, but I
also think that it could be a good thing for LDraw per se -- so overall I'm
probably for it.

Yeah, it is a very tricky subject, and could easily go either way IMO.

I'm almost always against mixing LEGO parts and non-LEGO toys parts,
wherever that is, be it ldraw.org or anywhere.  It makes my skin crawl,
that's all.  But that's just my version of being a LEGO purist, and I
understand that it may be an extreme one.

Naw, extreme is like no BURPs, CRAPPs, Town Jr. Pieces (that's not all
wrong), even minifigs, like the Lego Purists' Pages.

I'd probably also expect AFOK's (adult fans of K'NEX) to vomit most
heinously at the thought of LEGO parts polluting anything K'NEX.  Etc., etc.

Yeah.

You could even go so far as to say Lionel collectors not wanting trains
polluted by American Flyer.

IMASO, let the user do the mixing, and caveat emptor all the way; keep
things well-separated at the source so that people (a) don't mix things
accidentally and (b) never have to see dirty off-brand parts unless they
specifically want to (maybe they want to see all the cool parts that other
brands have that LEGO is missing).  Things could be kept separate by keeping
them nicely grouped into subdirectories off the root like /lego/ and /knex/
and /tyco/, etc., or by keeping them on separate sites (www.ldraw.org
staying LEGO-pure, for example, and simply linking to non-LEGO stuff).

I am strongly against having to move all the Lego-specific stuff on
ldraw.org to /lego/ because that shows that the clones have an influence on
the original intention of the site.  Simple links are all that is
appropriate.  No special arrangements should have to be made for the
Official parts updates and Lego-specific material on ldraw.org.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

If you don't believe in Gosh, you'll go to Heck, where you'll face eternal
darnation.