Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 05:25:15 GMT

At 08:52 AM 11/26/1999 , Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I am pretty purist myself and can't see using clones or modeling with
them (except in trains if some clone comes along and delivers what most
trainheads want at acceptable quality levels), but I repeat my thesis:

Why be exclusionary? What's wrong with providing a heavily disclaimed
link, or going the next step and allowing different categories.

I am not sure I read a "LEGO Uber Alles" stance into the material that
comes with the original LDraw releases.

I don't want to start any wars, but I just think that there is some
exclusionism going on here. You and Todd are going to exclude people for
not very good reasons, I fear.

I see what you're saying, but I think you're misunderstanding excluding
'parts' for 'people.'  This isn't intended to exclude individuals from the
group at Lugnet or from using ldraw.org.  Its to keep the Lego brand aspect
of LDraw and Lugnet pure from the imitation brands.  People can make those
parts, host them elsewhere, and still remain a part of the Lugnet community.

As I said in another recent post, a link to the off-site clone part pages
will be acceptable.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

If you don't believe in Gosh, you'll go to Heck, where you'll face eternal
darnation.