 CAD / Development / 3285
Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:55:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Tim Courtney wrote:

It sounds like Todd is pretty firm against clones on Lugnet.  I'm taking
the same stand with ldraw.org, unless there is an overwhelming majority in
favor of them [1].

Count me in the minority, then. Making parts is hard. If someone wants
to make parts I say more power to them. Perhaps making clone parts will
refine their modeling skill, which has to be a good thing for all of us.
I understand the issues but feel that some accomodation somewhere
between "anything goes" and "get your own site and don't even mention
that you have them" is where we need to be. Clones are *not* LEGO and it
should be clear that they aren't but I'd hate to be exclusionary.

  Here's part of the disclaimer I've already attached in the zip-file:

I know my efforts may seem like heresy to a number of AFOL's, and I
apologize for any stepped-on toes.  Let me state plainly that the
pieces included here are ABSOLUTELY UNOFFICIAL, and should NOT UNDER
ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be perceived as part of the LCad Canon.  My intent
is not to cheapen the worth of LCad, but rather to offer a few
overlooked pieces that fans of the "clone" brands might like to see.
After all, in the virtual environment, all discussions of varying
ABS quality between Lego and Clones become irrelevant...

  I hope I've made it clear that I'm not trying to "sneak" Clone-DATs into the
LCad roster, and I wouldn't presume to post them on the official LDraw.org
site.  All I hope to do is offer some options.
  I intend no disrespect to James or his program; in fact, without ever having
met me, he wrote the software I'd been looking for my whole life!  I only
wanted to "give something back," and, since official parts are well accounted
for already, I thought I'd go in a direction not yet explored.
  As far as what James may or may not have intended, I regret that I never knew
him, so I surely can't guess.  However, I've seen LDraw creations of such
varying quality and subject matter that it seems to me somehow right that his
creation stretch beyond even the bounds he conceived for it.
  Again, please don't read this as a slight on James or on LDraw!  In the few
dozen months since I discovered the program I've gained almost as much
enjoyment from using LDraw as from using actual bricks.  I don't intend for my
DAT offerings to become part of the official PARTS.LST.  I'll be delighted if I
see even a single MOC using some of my apocryphal MegaBloks DAT-files.

  In short, if anyone is interested in seeing the offending pieces, Email me
and I'll send you the link.

      Dave!