Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 05:21:35 GMT

At 01:17 PM 11/26/1999 , Todd Lehman wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't care one way or the other *intrinsically* if
ldraw.org decided to host off-brand elements...  What I (personally) would
be very sad to see is LEGO stuff being *mixed* with off-brand stuff.  That's
what I meant by going the whole hog and moving all the LEGO stuff into a
/lego/ branch if off-brand elements were actively supported (I think
passively supported works just fine with links only).  Nothing would stink
more, IMASO[1], than seeing LEGO models sprinkled with Mega-Bloks elements
and that sort of thing.  Wait -- OK, one thing would stink more than that,
IMSAO:  parts libraries containing both LEGO and off-brands.

As of this point, I don't think ldraw.org should *host* clone parts packs,
but it wouldn't do any harm to link to them off-site.  IMASO the site
should continue to promote Lego brand parts and editors which use the LDraw
format, and not push the clone bricks.  A link just acknowledges their
existence, and makes the sites more readily available to ldraw.org visitors
which desire such parts.  It doesn't pollute the purity of the site.

If the parts libraries and element selection for off-brands (Mega Bloks) or
compatible (Rokenbok) or totally other (Tinker Toys, K'NEX) systems could be
kept totally separate from LEGO libraries, and if LEdit or MLCad worked with
other scales and plastics, then, well, hey, All the more power to them!

Yeah.

--Todd

[1] IMASO => _I_n _M_y _A_rrogant _S_nob _O_pinion  :)

Is there a 'Best New Acronym of the Year' competition? ;)

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

If you don't believe in Gosh, you'll go to Heck, where you'll face eternal
darnation.