Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:17:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, "Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> writes:

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Why be exclusionary? What's wrong with providing a heavily disclaimed
link, or going the next step and allowing different categories.
[...]
I don't want to start any wars, but I just think that there is some
exclusionism going on here. You and Todd are going to exclude people for
not very good reasons, I fear.

I hate to reply just to insert a "me too", but I whole-heartedly agree.  And
folks (I won't name names) second-guessing James' prejudices without actually
having *met* him exhibits more than a fair amount of arrogance, IMHO.

The way I understand it, we have a very powerful and low-cost tool, which --
by nature of its library source being re-written -- is extremely useful for
more than just Lego modelling.  And James allowed anyone under the sun to make
new pieces; his only restriction was that he could control which pieces were
allowed into his parts files.

Linking to, or even hosting, clone pieces on ldraw.org would in no way
"pollute" the LDraw parts library as long as they're not included in the
"official" parts files.  And allowing for more than just Lego modelling would
increase LDraw's exposure.  No one can argue against that.

Getting offa my soapbox now...

Personally, I wouldn't care one way or the other *intrinsically* if
ldraw.org decided to host off-brand elements...  What I (personally) would
be very sad to see is LEGO stuff being *mixed* with off-brand stuff.  That's
what I meant by going the whole hog and moving all the LEGO stuff into a
/lego/ branch if off-brand elements were actively supported (I think
passively supported works just fine with links only).  Nothing would stink
more, IMASO[1], than seeing LEGO models sprinkled with Mega-Bloks elements
and that sort of thing.  Wait -- OK, one thing would stink more than that,
IMSAO:  parts libraries containing both LEGO and off-brands.

If the parts libraries and element selection for off-brands (Mega Bloks) or
compatible (Rokenbok) or totally other (Tinker Toys, K'NEX) systems could be
kept totally separate from LEGO libraries, and if LEdit or MLCad worked with
other scales and plastics, then, well, hey, All the more power to them!

--Todd

[1] IMASO => _I_n _M_y _A_rrogant _S_nob _O_pinion  :)