Re: Clone DATs--any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 06:11:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

Tim Courtney wrote:
As I said in another recent post, a link to the off-site clone part pages
will be acceptable.

Oh, I know you do, now. But I don't think Todd does (or maybe I'm not
reading him right) and I think he's got a fair chance of changing your
mind.

I'm not against hosting imitation brand parts or libraries on ldraw.org,
since LDraw's file format doesn't have any sort of LEGO-brand requirement.
I'd *personally* be somewhat bothered to see non-LEGO stuff there, but I
also think that it could be a good thing for LDraw per se -- so overall I'm
probably for it.

I'm definitely not against linking to imitation brand parts or libraries
from ldraw.org.

I'm almost always against mixing LEGO parts and non-LEGO toys parts,
wherever that is, be it ldraw.org or anywhere.  It makes my skin crawl,
that's all.  But that's just my version of being a LEGO purist, and I
understand that it may be an extreme one.

Tyco bricks are only crummy when compared to LEGO bricks.  Tyco bricks are
totally awesome when compared to Mega Bloks bricks or any other LEGO clone,
or to K'NEX or Construx or, for that matter, tiddly winks or Tinker Toys.

I'd hate to see Tyco parts pollute a K'NEX model just as much as I'd hate to
see Tyco parts pollute a LEGO model.  Likewise, I'd hate to see LEGO parts
pollute a Tyco model or a K'NEX model.

I'd probably also expect AFOK's (adult fans of K'NEX) to vomit most
heinously at the thought of LEGO parts polluting anything K'NEX.  Etc., etc.

IMASO, let the user do the mixing, and caveat emptor all the way; keep
things well-separated at the source so that people (a) don't mix things
accidentally and (b) never have to see dirty off-brand parts unless they
specifically want to (maybe they want to see all the cool parts that other
brands have that LEGO is missing).  Things could be kept separate by keeping
them nicely grouped into subdirectories off the root like /lego/ and /knex/
and /tyco/, etc., or by keeping them on separate sites (www.ldraw.org
staying LEGO-pure, for example, and simply linking to non-LEGO stuff).

--Todd