Re: BubbleBrick Crisis - TL6 Brikwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:02:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
Yeah, Dave is bad.

Me bad?

As an (important!) aside: how shall we handle Heroes?

Technically, there's only to be one for every 7 standard troops on a team.
Some possibilities:

(1)  Strict ruling - only 1 hero for every 7 troops on a team (note: not per
player).  So if your team only has 6 troops ... sucks, eh?  In order to ger
three heroes on your team, you need to have 21 regular troopers.

(2)  Slightly looser - only 1 hero for every 7 troops on your team, rounding
up. That is, 1 trooper gets you 1 hero, 8 troopers get you 2 heroes ... in
order to get three heroes on your team, you need to have 15 regular troopers.

(3)  Incontinentally Lax - same as number (2), but applied to each player.
So if you have 1 trooper, you can have 1 hero, and the same applies for your
teammates.  Your team might consist of 3 troopers, 3 heroes!

Obviously, this is more important this game, since the budgets are so low!

I'm leaning towards 1, since it's just *so* uptight!  I could also stomach
#2, though #3 is probably too loosey-goosey, even for the likes of ole'
Painted Armor.

Votes?

I vote #1. But here's another one I may have missed: What's the deal with
champions? The limit is (IIRC) 1 per team, which means your team could legally
consist of 1 uber-powerful champion and his/her battlemech.

On the other hand, Hero's? Hero's shouldn't be particularly valuable in this
game. I mean, sure they look neat and all, but short of the stupendous feat, all
they have is the ability to coordinate troops for combined fire-- and that's
already dealt with since the HP rules are in place. IE it won't matter if you
combine fire on some unit because each hit is counted against the total HP
anyway, so you'll *always* be combined firing, even spanning multiple turns.

And... really... disregarding the fact that only Elite units can have stupendous
feats, you could turn a regular trooper INTO a hero for only 1 point more than
the hero would cost (actually, he'd be *slightly* better than a hero, by +0.5
AV). Champions? Hmm... Making a trooper into a champion actually SAVES you 3 CP,
and you still end up with a slightly better unit. Again disregarding the fact
that only already Elite units can have stupendous feats tacked on.

Anyway, the anorak inside me says stick with rule #1. But I could also be talked
into 1.5:

(1.5) One hero per every 7 troops, rounded normally. 8 troops means you get 1
hero, and then you've got 1 trooper surplus, which, rounded to the nearest 7
means you get no more heros. 11 troops means you've got 4 troops surplus, which
rounds up to the nearest 7, so you'd get 2 heros:
0-3 troops = 0 heros
4-10 troops = 1 hero
11-17 troops = 2 heros
etc.

But regardless, I'd probably opt for #1 just to be safe.

DaveE