 General / 50597
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:05:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dan Thompson wrote:

Sorry for the reply to myself Jake please make sure this get passed on as well.
Even if they are only read and never touched again.

This is a mindset for myself living and growing up in the USA.  This may not
apply to any other country.

I thought of some other things.  So many people have said that Star Wars Lego
brought them out of their "dark age."  People who liked Lego as a child and
enjoy SW, it was the common ground on both that got (older) people back into
Lego.  If I was in charge of Lego I would go back and look at what was/is the
most popular cultural tie-ins and produce a series' of them.  If you did this in
1960-1970 you may have done something like the lone ranger.  Today what do 20-30
somethings who used to play with Lego remember fondly that might bring them into
the hobby as adults?  These are not fads that died out.  These are cultural
staples that have endured time and critisim.  Some ideas that come to mind:

GI Joe-what young boy didn't have GI Joe, just look at brickshelf and do a
search to see all the different custom figures or even the fan made Joe/Lego
site

Transformers-many a young boy played with transforming vehicles into robots.
This may be another Hasbro option to look into.

Nintendo-the system that made electronic gaming a household name.  A Mario
series of sets with King Koopa, Luigi, Peach, Toad and all their other friends
this could do extremely well.  I doubt there is a 10-30 year old who doesn't
know about Mario.  The Lengend of Zelda, I think would sell better than Harry
Potter.  With the new game coming late this year Lego would do well to at least
check into the possibilties.

Lord of the Rings- I know that this may be a day late or a dollar short but it
may be the best time for it.  Character recognition is now at an all time high.
Even without the movies I think this would have done well.  Head over to
brickshelf and check out the most popular folder. It is LOTR.  It has almost
half a million views for adults.  Most children do not spend much time on
brickshelf, these are adult Lego fans who have an interest in this.  Imagine
what type of sales you would have if you made this.  I would suggest getting a
liscence to make sets from the books directly and not from the movies.  You
would have more liberty in the sets and I am guessing it would cost less.

Narnia-the first of seven new movies that will come out soon.  Get on board now.
Children for years have been reading these books and have enjoyed the many
interesting stories and lands.  This would be great.

Disney- Lego and Disney partnership seems inevitable.  Classic movies like Snow
White or Bambi all the way up to greats like Aladdin or the Lion King.  This
could do very well also.  Disney isn't a small name it has instant recognition
and for many adult, boys and even girls, Lego contruction sets with the loveable
and collectable Disney characters would be a sure success.

Barbie/Bratz-teaming up with Barbie or Bratz could be the very thing that might
help Lego finally reach girls.  I am not sure if Barbie would ever want to be
associated with Lego but I can only see it building off of each others name
recognition.

These are ideas as far as liscencing goes.  I do not think Lego should set aside
it traditional sets or series nor should they fully persue more than one or two
of these at any time.

One thing I would also like to mention is that Lego is not involved in any type
of roleplay using it's minifigs as customizable units.  Games like these are a
popular item for teen and adult hobbiests.  This could open up a new market it
the field that could compete with hero clix or warhammer and for less moreny.
One figure for those others can cost up to ten dollars.  Lego would not even
need new molds.  It could produce small figure sets with almost limitless
configurations that people would be more willing to buy because of the lower
price point.  Not only that but many of the people who want larger armies of
figures would also be satisfied.  The point being is that this is an untapped
money maker for a company looking to broaden it's appeal to different ages,
satisfy current customers, introduce new customers  who are into gaming/
collectables, and wouold allow TLG to make strong revenues.  Please if you
decide to discard all my other ideas look into this one.  This is seriously the
best idea I have seen for getting 12-25 year old people to maintain a buying
relationship with Lego that is only enhanced by the 2-10 years of previous sets
they may have gotten.  Look into this.

Thank you Jake, TLG and anyone else who cares or agrees.