 General / 50568
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:59:03 GMT

-SNIP IT-
Thanks so much everyone for showing that the AFOLs are a force to be reckoned
with!

WORD!

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Yes

* Why / Why not?

Quality, duability, mind stimulation, imagination, better than any electronic
device at that age, sets a foundation for creative thinking and expression

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

As in selling features, none.  I would do less in some areas and more in others.
No holographic patches, no overly fancy artwork.  Things I do find appealing are
the newer top displays that show the number of minifigs and I like the back of
the KK2 boxes that show all the great accessories.

If you mean play features then I would add more hidden things like trap doors,
hidden doors, treasure chambers, or reversable fire places.  I would also
add/maintain storage containers like the mail boxes or treasure chests.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

Without changing everything else a set is like now, pieces in rare colors
(colors they are not in yet).  More minifigs, five extra figs = five-ten extra
dollars.  Increase the part count which does three things, makes it less
juniorized, lowers the price per piece count (very important for AFOLs) and
makes people feel they are getting more value for their money.

Change to the actual product, smaller boxes, less artwork, less comics (as in
every set in the series doesn't need the a comic book), and use existing molds
to make the same shapes in sets then making a new molded specialty piece.

* What new products would you launch?

A small model series. $20 price range.  Start with popular sports car models.
Small compact designs with any of the following; opening doors, hoods, trunks,
wheels that turn, flip up lights, or convertible (if possible at that size).
Make them nearly studless, and 8X16 studs in size.  Then maybe add other
vehicles, planes, boats, or other desktop model sized sets.
(this is for, car lovers, model lovers, LEGO lovers)

Fairy tale sets for 6-12 year olds with the story included.  Jack and the
Beanstalk, Puss in Boots, Rapunzel, Little Red Ridinghood.  Standard minfigs,
repeated use of the same parts to keep costs down.  Use the same one or two
parts for things like the beanstalk (triple leafed plant stem), or Rapunzels
tower the 1X3 brick/1X1 brick round combination.
(nostalgia for parents, introduce the classics to younger generations, extras
for the AFOLs)

A new product for girls similar to Belville or Paradisa.  The girl market is
still available.  I know many girls who enjoy building or used to play with LEGO
as children.  They want romantic things like a princesses and a knight to save
them from the witch/baron/ogre.  Things to include would be flowers and
accessories.  Maybe add a few extra pieces so each girl can change her
appearance. A few different color hair parts, a different outfit, a hat, or an
extra head with a differnt print would achieve this nicely.  make them
affordable.  The current prices for Belville are quite high.  Try and to younger
girls still in the baby doll and dollhouse age 6-10.

A fantasy/mythology series.  Brick built dragons, ogres and other beasts.
Medusa, a faun or satyr, a centaur all as minifigs.  Follow the adventures of
Hercules as he battles the monsters and saves the world type of stuff.

***Ultimate***  Camelot.  You would have the knights of the round table with the
siege perilous.  A church yard where Arthur becomes king.  The Lady of the Lake.
The fight with Mordred. A great tournament with ladies in the stands.  The block
of floating marble.  We would need all the unforgetable characters of Arthur,
Lancelot, Bors, Merlin, Mordred, Guenivere, Gawain, Percival, Gareth, Galahad,
Bedivere, Kay, Tristan, The Lady of the Lake, The Green Knight, and Morgan Le
Fay.  Though the stories and legends are full or adult themed content they could
be simplified or the stories they used for children in school could be used.
This is where LEGO castle should go.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

I am not sure.  LEGO, is making better sets, listening to all of there
customers, looking to improve the brand and is beginning to value AFOLs.  If
anything make up your minds to continue in these areas.

Oh, I did think of a few other things.  Develop a way for AFOLs to submit
theme/set ideas or designs.  Develop a Bricklink type store for specialty or
bulk purchases.  Create current elements in colors not available for new sets
(as a castle-head things like forestmen hats in dark red, gray, tan or black
just for example).  Lastly, develop a way for customers to indicate what sets
they would like to see released as Legends.

So dangerous questions, to be sure, but the office of the CEO has asked them, so
you know the responses will be listened to!

Thanks again, everyone. This incredible response has made my week.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison