 General / 50566
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:00:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Yes.

* Why / Why not?

We enjoyed Lego as kids. Its fun, safe and high quality.

Every kid deserves Lego. If they don't already have some, its great to be the
person to introduces them to it. If they already have it - well you can never
have enough.

Also, some of our friends' kids love Bob the Builder. Buying Duplo Bob the
Builder seems to be more positive and educational than the equivalent non Duplo
toy.

We almost bought some Mega Bloks for some kids - until we realised that it
wouldn't fit with the Primo we had already bought them. The System is important,
and its important to make that first sale.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

See below.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

Ultimately plastic is not regarded as a high value item. I would consider adding
wooden and metal elements. As a kid I longed to be able to combine my blocks
with my Lego - all it needed was for the blocks to be the same proportion as a
bricks. But I am sure your designers could figure out some way to actually
connect the wood to the plastic.

Parents will spend a very high proportion of their disposable income on kids
education. If you can make the educational content of Lego more explicit, you
will attract incremental sales. This might be as minimal as putting a sticker on
the pack, or maybe some point of sale material.

I would also make Lego available in those expensive "educational" toystores
alongside Brio, Aquaplay and Plan toys.

If you go further and make Montessori or Papert Lego, parents may pay a very
high premium.

* What new products would you launch?

A new premium brand for architects and AFOLs with smaller bricks. Wait a
minute... maybe you already tried that.

Use cheap labour to make exquisite hand painted parts for art pieces. Commission
famous artists and sculptors to provide the models.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

Allow the Lego to be displayed in the parts of the store it belongs - Primo in
baby's section, Duplo in the toddlers section and the Clikits with the girls
stuff.