 General / 50564
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:12:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
snip

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Y and N

* Why / Why not?

Sorry for the confusion there, Yes I would buy Lego for a child, but I would not
enjoy giving it to them as I would rather add it to my collection. Basically I
buy Lego for a 54 year old child (myself)

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

I would like to see most (if not all) S@H items available in my local toy store,
I normally plan what I want to buy during the year, but occasionally I also
impulse buy, and if it isn't on the shelf, then I can't buy.

Another point is things like the Statue of Liberty model, if it was available on
the shelf I would have got at least one set, probably more (good source of sand
green bricks) however, due to an overused credit card coupled with the high cost
of post and packing, I extremely doubt I will ever be using S@H. Which also
meant I missed out on items like the Dragon sculpture and Dan Siskind's
Blacksmith Shop (plus all those extras like bulk blocks etc).

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

Like most people here I think Lego should bring back the pocket money/stocking
filler size sets, not look at how to make a relatively expensive product more
expensive. If anything, I'd be looking at how I could shave a few dollars OFF
the price by using less gimmicky stuff in a set eg comics, card games etc.

* What new products would you launch?

As has been said before, look at the old catalogs, bring back proper town
buildings, where are the house sets, the hospital, shops, restaurants?

Take sets like the building bonanza and release it in alternate colours,
different roof and wall colours to give builders the option of having other
colour houses.

A set that I thought was fantastic, both from a building experience AND as a
useful colour parts pack was the Yoda Sculpture (I purchased 5 sets and would
have got more had the set been available for a longer period). I believe Lego
should have a Sculpture theme that could incorporate a whole series of figures,
busts, buildings etc, BUT, these MUST be available from local toy stores, NOT
just from S@H.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

Getting back to basics and getting out of fads.

Thanks - Ken Bailey