 General / 50558
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:39:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
All,

I know that some of you have attempted to fill out the survey announced
yesterday  on LEGOfan.org, only to be turned away with a message about the
survey being complete.

After some late night phone calls and early morning emails, I've been to figure
out what's up.

Basically, because of the way the survey was created through a third party,
there is a hard cap set for the number of surveys that can be completed.
(Basically, we're charged a fee per completed survey, and thus have to set a
budget with the third party developer).

Within hours, that hard cap was reached, and the survey automatically shut down.
Since it's the weekend, and most of my colleagues aren't easily accessible, I'll
have to check on the actual number that is the hard cap. I know for sure that
it's no less than 500. WOW.

If you're still interested in helping out, my colleague running this data
collection effort has asked me to post the questions below for feedback. She'll
manually include this in the results as well. Feel free to answer them in line
or email them to me.

Thanks so much everyone for showing that the AFOLs are a force to be reckoned
with!

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N • YES
* Why / Why not?
Because it's one of the best learning tools available and "it's a new toy
everyday" - this is so true and a whole generation have missed this phrase. It
also outlasts most other toys in terms of interest and durability.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?
I'd get in with the schools. Modern society points us (adults) towards getting
the 'best deal' on food, clothes, cars etc. but when we are not experts in
construction toys (ie the average parent?) we are likely to apply this process
and ignore the difference in quality between Lego and other construction
toys...or other toys period.

If you can get straight to the kids, they will be exposed to Lego (in some cases
for the first time). Educational building sessions in schools or public displays
with hands-on building experience would be obvious starting points.

Schools are likely to recognise, or a t least care about, the difference in toy
build quality more than the average parent.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?
Better packaging focused on sales. The lure of the plain printed boxes is less
than the older type where you could open the flap and see the selected
'treasure'. If customers saw the benefit of, say, the way the technic sets would
bring out the engineer in us then the product may fall into a higher value level
in their mind. At the moiment, I think it's seen as 'just' a toy!

* What new products would you launch? • Working models of real life things.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?
As above. Get out and influence the customers by extolling the benefits of the
system beyond being just another throw-away toy - several of my friends buy
competitior bricks for their children becaise of what they promise on the box,
and the cheap price, because they do not appreciate the difference*. You may
wish to consider what has been mentioned above in order to do this.

*I despair at the amount of poor quality toys brought into our house which break
or have to be thrwon away. Lego is very green in this respect!.

Jon Reynolds

So dangerous questions, to be sure, but the office of the CEO has asked them, so
you know the responses will be listened to!

Thanks again, everyone. This incredible response has made my week.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison