 General / 50567
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:58:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Yes
* Why / Why not?
Because kids don't really want to spend their entire life behind the
2-D-computer, and building with bricks gives the third dimension.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

I would subtract, not add. There is more than enough LEGO marketing as is.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?
Produce less. LEGO's toughest competitor is LEGO itself; why buy a full-priced
LEGO box, when you in the same store can find a few months old LEGO set at half
price? LEGO need to shift the attention from quantity to revenue: Give up some
of the profit-slim markets, even if they are volume-heavy (yes, even like the US
market!!). Come to grips with the situation, that LEGO is neither Mattel nor
Hasbro, focus on being a high quality building bricks niche company, and accept
a more humble placement on the Worlds Biggest Toymakers list.

* What new products would you launch?
LEGO launches about 400 new product numbers a year; go for a target of no more
than 100, and launch only 1 new theme each year (like this years Vikings, next
year maybe Romans, etc.)

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?
Have more focus on Asia, especially the Chinese market. Develop sets centered on
what Chinese children would like.

Jake

thanks for making this survey!

Arne, Copenhagen