 General / 50572
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:03:19 GMT

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Yes

* Why / Why not?

As the TLC slogan used to be, Lego toys are "toys that build imagination"

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

More emphasis on building and interconnecting multiple sets to build larger
things.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

Instead of trying to sell someone a $90 set I would try to sell someone 8 copies
of a $10-$15 set. Think in terms of themed basic and/or designer sets. Include
instructions to build something small with one set, something larger with two
copies, something with four copies, or something really big with 8 copies.
Include 2 or three different generic figs appropriate to the theme of the set.
This would work for just about any building type from castles to space stations.
One could make a whole theme with all of the "price point sets" just by
purchasing multiple copies of one set.

* What new products would you launch?

A small landscape set (designed to work well with mulitple copies) where you
could build trees, cliffs, waterfalls, and such with heavy emphasis on foliage.
Also of course Tubs (or even just a cardborad box of bricks) in different brick
color assortments. Keep the standard red, yellow, blue, white, and some random
throw in colors but also make one where the main colors are the dark equivalent
colors or the sand equivalent colors.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

Make the basic parts available to actually be purchased by consumers. (Maybe
this is already the case for people who live within reasonable driving distance
of a Lego store with Pick-a-brick.) But I am talking about things that should be
common pieces available in large quanties like bricks, plates, and slopes (both
regualar slopes and inverted slopes) Also make generic figs more available
either in sets or with minifig packs.

So dangerous questions, to be sure, but the office of the CEO has asked them, so
you know the responses will be listened to!

Thanks again, everyone. This incredible response has made my week.

Thanks for listening.

-Mike Petrucelli