 General / 50562
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:16:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Y - I don't have kids but would buy them as gifts for other people's kids.

* Why / Why not?

Because it's the best toy to develop a child's spacial and geometric skills.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

I'm not a marketing expert, but you gotta differentiate yourselves from the
Megabloks guys or they will eat you alive...

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

I wouldn't.  They're already too expensive, compared to competing brands.

* What new products would you launch?

Products that keep with the traditional LEGO concept of helping kids develop
spacial and geometric skills.  As for specific themes, I would do lots of focus
groups with both kids and AFOL's to find out what they want.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

Speed up the development of new products to react more quickly to cultural
trends.

Work better with mom-n-pop toy stores and hobby shops (for example, to sell LEGO
trains in model train stores) to ensure availability of LEGO products.  Remove
limitations on breadth of product line that need to be carried so stores can
focus on individual lines.  Make a wholesale version of shop@home for these
guys.

Finding ways to offer bulk bricks in more efficient ways than currently
available (wider selection, more flexible quantities, lower prices).

--Bill.