 General / 50584
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:52:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
(Bon Snippage)
Thanks so much everyone for showing that the AFOLs are a force to be reckoned
with!

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N
* Why / Why not?
     I already do, because LEGO toys can be anything a child can imagine; they
drive kids to be creative, and can be used over and over in many different ways.
And as a child grows, and can use smaller elements, the larger elements from
Duplo can still be used, so they never really lose functionality.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?
     More availability at the store level of basic building sets; piece packs
for individual elements; more lower-priced basic sets in greater combinations.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?
     I wouldn't - I believe most of the cooler sets are too pricey already.  The
average parent doesn't have $70-200 to go out and buy a set, except MAYBE on a
special occassion like a birthday or Christmas.  AFOL spending habits are
another story - we'll save up if we want something, but for us average Joes that
reduces the amount we can spend on a more regular basis.

* What new products would you launch?
     The moonbase idea lends itself to a product line - sell basic link/support
kits in various styles and sizes (1-4 links), then expansion sets to fit
different purposes (habitat, factory, meeting places, etc).  More classic castle
sets (not Knights Kingdom) along the same lines - base kits then expansion
material; more train-inspired creations.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?
     Making available at local stores the variety of stuff that is now for many
of us only available via S@H.
     Not so strongly grouping sets and pieces by gender - there are many fine
examples of how Belville, Clikits, and Bionicle pieces have been and SHOULD BE)
used cross-theme in town, space and mecha realms.

So dangerous questions, to be sure, but the office of the CEO has asked them, so
you know the responses will be listened to!

Thanks again, everyone. This incredible response has made my week.

Jake
     Thanks for listening!

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander