 General / 50552
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:11:21 GMT

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Yes!

* Why / Why not?

Because Lego encourages creativity and is a toy which can grow with the child.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

I'll answer cynically here. I'd make more models that have value added when put
together. I think the bonus SW minis were a good example of this. I'd make them
out of the parts of the original models though. That way, people who buy only
one don't feel they've wasted money on extra pieces and those who are bower
birds will buy the full collection twice.

I'd make sure there were two sets of ads. One set targeted directly at children
focussing on the 'coolness' factor of sets and one at the parents focussing on
the educational value. These would be aimed directly to the appropriate
demographics (eg. adult friendly during Sesame Street).

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

I think that would be a bad idea. Expensive sets will compete more directly with
mobile phones etc. which is only going to cause problems.

* What new products would you launch?

I'd go with the oft mentioned idea books, but given away free to those who can
send in a certain number of proof-of-purchases. If the idea books showed how to
combine given sets to make something new then that would be perfect. This of
course could be done online for free as well.

Although it goes against my own preferences, I think that action sets that tie
in generically with successful TV shows would be a good lure. If mecha are in,
release mecha for example. If Transformers(tm) make a comeback, release
transforming vehicles. Let others do the marketing work.

Also, more targeted products at the adult builder. Things sci-fi are good. You
could make a lot of profit on an accurate model of an Alien(tm) for example,
whatever is on the shelves of a comic/model store can be Lego-fied and sold to
adult (read rich) collectors. Unlike trains they can be a one-off purchase
rather than a (very) large investment.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

Better advertising. Less juniourisation. More 'hooks'. More action. More
roleplay for younger kids. More awareness of age. More Brand Stores. More
pick-a-brick (high profit margin I imagine).

Tim