 LEGO Company / 3368
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:05:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Yes, in fact I do.

* Why / Why not?

They hold my 4-year-old son's attention much longer than most toys.  It's also
something he and I can do together, for many hours, so it's a great bonding
experience as well.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

For kids, I'd get a bit more licensing -- you've got the current movie tie-ins,
which is good, but there is a lot of older IP that children are still into, like
Superman.  I had a custom Superman minifig made for my son for $10, but if you
could get him and a few other popular comic book characters doing heroic things,
it would be very popular.  Much more so than "made-up" heroes like Alpha Team, I
think.

For adults, what you need is not so much new product features but better
community support.  Why in the world is there not a LEGO magazine for adults?
This seems like a no-brainer -- each issue could include pics from the latest
shows around the world, one or two new model instructions, recent MOCs from the
community, and the odd piece on customization (making your own decals, etc.).
Maybe TLG shouldn't be producing this magazine itself, but find a publisher and
encourage it to happen.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

The only way I can think of to do that is to expand the high end, the robocists
and train enthusiasts for example.  Provide more Mindstorms sensors, and bring
back the RCX with a power jack.  Provide train parts comparable to what model
train enthusiasts have: motorized points, bricks that make train noises, etc.
More could be done with the R/C line too: make modular R/C components that let
builders make anything from a zippy racer to a slow-moving construction machine
with a motorized scoop and truck bed.

* What new products would you launch?

I've mentioned most of them above.  What I DON'T want is a zillion new custom
parts.  What I DO want are new models that make good use of the zillion existing
parts, plus a small number of new, high-end electronic parts that help me bring
my models to life.  These should be modular and adaptable to a wide variety of
uses, just like the rest of LEGO (and unlike your recent R/C offerings, for
example).

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

Primarily, recognize and embrace the AFOL community, which is a huge support
base for you.  AFOLs can do a lot for LEGO, not just with our purchasing power,
but also our evangelism.  Give us some love and your investment will be returned
manyfold.

This survey is a good start.  :)