 General / 50529
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:53:56 GMT

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N
* Why / Why not?

Yes, if the sets contained useful parts or I needed a gift for a 0-11 year old.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

Not sure I understand the question... features added to what?  The marketing
campaign?  I'd probably do alot of commercials like that were in the old days,
like the old Tyco building block commercials.  No special effects, no computer
generated product.  Just a bunch of boys in a mound of dirt in their back yard
with mounds of product sets and a lot of imagination (and great camera angles,
of course).

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

Simpler photos on packaging like before
Smaller set boxes (less cardboard, less air)
Less electronic gimicks
Better variety and higher quantity per set of basic and modified basic bricks
for better alternate sets (as opposed to the larger 'juniorized' and/or absurdly
large pieces)  The Designer sets are an excellent example of how to achieve this
(but the idea would be to apply this to all sets).

* What new products would you launch?

The Viking series is awesome, I'd release it world wide.
I'd probably look into an official LEGO steam engine (with pistons and all that,
not just stickers)
A realism castle line, with historically accurate weapons, armor, and siege
equipment of the medieval era, along with historically plausible buildings
An ancient Roman and Egyptian line (bringing in existing pieces from the
Adventurer series)
A town series with more 'everyday' life sets
A science fiction space series with a foot in reality, with a nod to classic
space.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn?t now?

Aside from changing back to the old colors, and abandoning the franchise
products (though the Star Wars sets are arguably the best sets in a long time
since LEGO isn't the only company with final say on what the sets look like)

I'd say stop trying to appeal to the fads.  LEGO was always about being the
staple toy.  It was never 'in' or 'chick', it was the fall back that all parents
and kids alike could go to and let their imagination run wild.  Stop writing
storylines, let the kids make up their own.  Give them a fig, a handful of
bricks and take your hands off.  Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

--Anthony