 General / 50570
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:21:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N
* Why / Why not?

I would consider including Lego as one toy I might buy for young children.
However, other toys that I might consider buying *before* Lego include:

Rokenbok (for the older kids in that age range who might see it as being a more
functionally cooler system)

Playmobil (for the younger children, especially) because they make excellent
quality toys that promote developing socialization skills through imaginative
play without the sometimes extreme conflict-based play that Lego uses in its
products.

Geotrax by Fisher-Price because it is cheap and durable and has tons of
play-value.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

Lego always seems to have done a good job of marketing itself.  Seeing the
product in stores in attractive boxes and perhaps occassionally seeing a display
made out of Lego seems better than expensive TV advertising to me.

As far as making the themes conflict-oriented and sometimes violent, I think
Lego would do well to re-examine its core values and see if its lineup fits.
Interestingly, making a military-based model, say of a warplane, could be
construed as less violent than the knashing-teeth faced minifigs that Lego
currently favors.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

Make the bricks out of gold. ;)

* What new products would you launch?

The Designer series is great - expanding the philosophy of that line across the
product range would be brilliant.

A town/city/realistic theme that appeals to older children and includes more
than fire/police sets.

DVDs with alternate building ideas/stories involving the theme/music to have on
while building included in the sets might be something to try out to see how it
works.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

* selling its train sets and mindstorms products in hobby stores
* making small, independent toy stores want to carry the product

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com