 General / 50535
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:59:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

**snip**

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N

Yes

* Why / Why not?

Lego is a fun and creative toy. No kid should grow up without Lego.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?

Lego doesn't need "features" unless you count going back to its roots a feature.
Lego is all about building, not gimicks. Maybe some TV advertising? Is that a
feature?

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?

Bring back the old colours. Get rid of Juniorized stuff, sets and parts. Go back
to your roots. Clickits, Action figures, etc are not what made Lego what it is,
or was. But don't sell them for more money, this is an expensive hobby already.
Go for quality not quantity. Sell the Lego products that make the AFOL crowd go
crazy. Too many years have passed where the AFOL have just yawned at the
upcoming Lego sets. Then the sets gather dust sitting on shelves. Alpha team,
NBA, the NHL sets with the monsters, the list goes on. I think this is the first
year I've been looking forward to the new sets, everything from HP to Vikings.

* What new products would you launch?

Town line with vehicles and sets other than fire, police, construction and
airport stuff. The new house set is a good example of this. More trains. How
about another Legend set? Or a MOC series set? More parts packs, in new colours.
I'd love some dark blue bricks and plates and other parts.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?

Listening to the AFOL group, not "test groups" of fans or whoever thought
changing the colours was a good idea. Selling 9V Train items in regular stores.
Supporting the Mindstorms sets and the Studios sets. Not following fads, like
Clickits. Offering new colours in parts packs! I want dark blue parts!

So dangerous questions, to be sure, but the office of the CEO has asked them, so
you know the responses will be listened to!

Thanks again, everyone. This incredible response has made my week.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison