 General / 50565
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:45:23 GMT

Normally I'm simply lurking here but now I couldn't resist :)

* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N
Yes, in fact I've already bought quite a few sets that I keep in storage
for them until they are old enough because I feel that LEGO has gone
down-hill in the last years so I'd better stock up now than end up with a
2-piece LEGO action man figure when they are the right age. So I already
have a collection of 8+, 12+ etc lego for my 2-year old :)

* Why / Why not?
Because it is one of the few toys that helps them build creativity. An
because, at least to some extend, it can help them go beyond that first
model they get in the box.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of
LEGO?
interoperability is the key to LEGO; I think we need LEGO to go back to
its roots in that respect. I want to use classic LEGO with my new technic
backhoe, but I can't really (studless issue). I think LEGO should focus on
the buys LEGO and build anything you want instead of "Buy LEGO and you get
this great man-eating-dinosaur".

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them
for
more money?
I think LEGO should learn lessons from other lines of business. In
general, people are more included to buy a large number of inexpensive
items than one big one. If LEGO had a range of say 10 sets costing about
$15 that are all nice (but simple) models, but together allow you to build
a much larger model, I think people would end up spending the $150 for the
big model whereas they would not buy the $120 large model if it were one
big box.

Think about it, for $10-$15 people just get one for the fun of it, they
then end up buying another one because it's cheap anyway and before they
know it they end up thinking "well, I only need to get X more to get the
large model".

Also, I can think of a million reasons to give my kids a $10-$15 set,
whereas I can only think of a few to give them a $120 set (birthday,
christmas, that's about it).

* What new products would you launch?
See above :)

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?
Keep in mind that in general the parents buy the LEGO for their kids. I am
fully willing to spend considerable money on toys for my kids as long as I
feel it will help them and it is fun. But I won't buy things like Bionicle
because it does not foster their creativity, I won't buy sets that are
basically "stick these 4 blocks together and you can play with it".

Richard