 General / 50531
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:33:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N
I do on a regular basis.

* Why / Why not?
Because I love it myself, so I buy for my own children. I also think that even
at current price levels it still is the best toy my money can buy.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?
Put the focus more on building than on playing.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?
I think someone got the question wrong here. You probably meant sell them for
less money, as cheaper sets will get more people to buy them.
Back to basics would be the answer. Slow down on developing all sorts of
unnecessary parts and colors. I'm not saying go back to the 70's, but I see so
many parts that can also be built using a number of existing bricks.

* What new products would you launch?
Signals and remote controlled switches for the 9V track.
Model Team sets that are not cars; motorbikes, boats (Titanic, Cutty Sark,
America's Cupper), buildings (Tower Bridge, Eiffel Tower)...

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?
Making money? (sorry, couldn't resist...)
Keep the LegoLand parks!!! They are unique, brilliant, the best theme parks I've
been to with my children and only because they are run by the Lego Company.
Legoland is about children having a good time, not about making profits. If
Legoland is going to turn into anything like Disneyland Paris I won't go there
again.
Lego should not be afraid to be what it is, and stop pretending to be something
it isn't. Stop messing with Jack Stone-size figs. You have The Minifig,
recognised and loved by children around the world. By running two sizes or
scales alongside eachother you get sets that aren't compatible, and you're
confusing parents, uncles and neighbours who are looking for birthday presents.
Basically Lego is on the right track. The X-pods are a great idea, the little
hotwheels like racer sets are gems, and with the designer series Lego is doing
that it does best: selling a box of versatile bricks with some examples of what
you can build, really encouraging kids to build their own.

Duq