 General / 50563
Re: Holy Mackerel! LEGO survey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:55:02 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:
* Would you buy LEGO toys for children 0-11? Y/N
Yes - within certain boundaries

* Why / Why not?
Because I still consider Lego to be one of the best toys ever,
regardless of the mistakes the company made and makes.

I would not buy Bionicle for a kid, nor would I buy some
action-and-violence-centered sets like "world city police" or these
abdominable Dino-Hunters.

An important point here is to distinguish between violence related to
our current time and violence in historic context, i.e. Pirates: OK,
Castles: OK (but not KK2, but for different reasons), guys with machine
guns (and ugly dinosaurs as lame excuse): DEFINITELY NOT OK.

* What feature(s) would you add if you were the marketing director of LEGO?
Better Pick-a-Brick selections. More re-usable, less special-purpose bricks.

* How would you change existing LEGO products if you wanted to sell them for
more money?
S.a. Less single-purpose bricks, back to the basics. You are neither
Matell nor Playmobil. Your company's name is Lego which once was an
alias for "You can build the thing pictured on the box. But you still
can build thousends of different other things from it, too". Todays sets
remind me more of Mattel model sets than of a generic construction toy.

* What new products would you launch?
Improved bulk purchase capabilities. Especially reasonable prices if
bricks are purchased in large quantities, e.g. Boxes of 1000 or 5000 apiece.

* What should LEGO be doing that it isn’t now?
Return to the point of Lego being a "system", e.g. with a complete set
of slope bricks for 33°, including concave corners so one can build
dormers (SP?) with it.

Support the active AFOLs, of course. They are spending their own
resources to advertise for your product. One way would be to offer
discounts to AFOLs who exhibit MOCs, or maybe S@H vouchers. Remember:
Most of the stuff will end up in free advertising again.

And - you propably guessed it: Return to the old colours!

Yours, Christian Treczoks