 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6508
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:15:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Joshua Delahunty wrote:
No one in his right mind would do this baseplate without using texture
mapping.

Even so, the question would be, should one duplicate the nature of the
stippling pattern, or go the easier (and some might say, better looking)
route of a gradient in those areas?

Well, since the stippling pattern is just an artifact of the printing
process, I'd say it's foolish to reproduce it.  Some of the dots on the
newer stippled gradients are so tiny I can't even see them without a huge
magnifier (or maybe I just need bifocals) so it makes absolutely no sense
to reproduce the dots.

Anyhow, if we're gonna allow the full gamut for Textures, why not allow
it for the fallback vector patterns.  It hardly seem fair for you young
whipper-snappers with all your fancy new hardware to lord it over us
mere mortals getting by with the lesser equipment.  ;)  If I can't have
LDraw with textures on my android phoneputer, I still want it to look
pretty good.

Just whip up some official guidelines for the patterns, like say:
if it looks like the printed pattern uses official colors then use the
numbered colors.  Otherwise feel free to use the RBG colors.

Works for me...

Don