 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6500
Re: "Dither" colors in patterned/sticker parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:21:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Michael Heidemann wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   Unfortunately, MLCad 3.3’s complete removal of support for dither colors (which incidentally breaks it for a number of existing official parts) makes this option less tenable.

That is not complete correct. If MLCad does not find a LDConfig.ldr then you have your old colours back, including the dithered range!

I stand corrected. However, forcing the user to choose between LDConfig.ldr support and dither color support pretty much makes dither colors useless in MLCad 3.3 for a vast majority of users.

   I feel with the majority of the votes in this thread. Allow “Dithered” colours and looking forward for texture mapping!

That was my original opinion. However, all the initial posts in this thread advocated RGB colors, so I was willing to support that. Now MLCad breaks dither colors for at least 95% of its users, which seems to make them a really bad idea.

--Travis

There seems to be support for RGB and also for “Dithered” colour out there. The problem that we always faced are caused by applications that do not follow our ideas and so we go limiting our aims. I feel we should stop doing in that way without to forget the limitations. So I would suggest now (I had another opinion before): Allow “Dithered” colours. Allow RGB colours (both limited to pattern / sticker) Limit the scope of colours in LDConfig.ldr only to brick colours. For part authors it should be mentioned that “Dithered” colours will be shown by all applications (except MLCAD 3.3) and that RGB Colours are only (at present) supported by two applications.

My reason for this change: Our main aim is to make picture from our models. I think most of us uses LDView for this purpose. LDView is open source software so everybody can contribute. LDView shows just all of that.

cu mikeheide