 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6477
Re: "Dither" colors in patterned/sticker parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 22:50:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:

   However, if there could be a standard for texture mapping patterns & stickers (and parts made by mixing multiple colors of plastic), that would solve this dilemma -- simple patterns could be modeled with color codes, and advanced patterns could be modeled with texture maps. But I’m just dreaming there...

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   That could yet happen (and possibly much sooner than you might expect).

Since the proof-of-concept work for texture mapping took place “out in the open” on Facebook, Steve is aware of what’s been done so far.

I think the real “dream” here is having it widely available, since to add texture mapping to MLCAD without upgrading MLCAD to OpenGL would be quite a bit of work, more than we might hope to see any time soon.

So while there’s a viable syntax and proof waiting to be implemented more widely, and in fact texture mapping is here, today (my Facebook profile picture being a very good example), it’s not imminent for widespread use by everyone without a few more hurdles, unfortunately. :(

-- joshuaD