 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6518
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:28:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:

   First of all, let me say that while my previous post probably implied that I’m against allowing MPDs as parts, I am in fact still open to the possibility. I’m just not sure I’m completely convinced by the arguments given so far.

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Joshua Delahunty wrote:

   I think this is a good one:

MPD parts would be a great way to store “default” textures for texture mapping (hex encode them). That would encapsulate the design with the part, overcoming one of the big “pain points” of adopting textures. Textures could still be overridden in supporting software through use of an external “hi-res” directory in the LDRAW search path.

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   I really don’t like this idea. I agree that it has the cool property of encapsulating everything in one file, but it has three big problems that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • “Hex” encoding of the texture file increases its size by a little over a factor of two. (Two bytes per original byte, plus <CR><LF> at the end of each line and at least 0 <space> at the beginning of each line.) This could be improved by using something like base 64, but that increases the complexity.

I was actually thinking “uuencode” when I wrote this, and used hex for shorthand and because I figured it was more universally understood. But I think this veers slightly off-topic (file size bloat versus utility of feature) -- see below.

  • The textures become hidden, and new tools are needed to import them into the part files and extract them back out again.

Textures (especially a “default” texture) will tend to be the kind of thing that won’t change much. This isn’t a “plug and play” feature. It’s somewhat fixed (and I mentioned a mechanism to override that doesn’t require extraction or change)

  • The files become a pain to edit, because 90%+ of the file is made of of encoded texture data.

If you were to go to MPD parts, they’d become a pain to edit, period. Sections and references that have to be kept in sync and proper order.

Do you fix this with “won’t do it, too hard for people to hand edit”, or do you fix this with better tools? MPD parts would, to me it seems, require improved tools (that handle the side work) on the face of it.

---

IMHO, you argued whether you’d like hex bloat from textures in your parts library. That’s a different discussion from whether embedding textures with the parts they map would be an applicable use of MPD part files.

I’ve found that it’s best NOT to design (or un-design) a feature based on how I think *I’d* use it, but rather whether it would have strong universal appeal and use. And even then, the market ultimately dictates whether a feature was worth the trouble. If it wasn’t, then no harm-no foul, if it was, you work to improve the feature to improve the product.

-- joshuaD