 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6502
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
As a parts author, I avoid using subfiles unless there is a fairly extreme
need for them (except for the case of subfiles created specifically to be
used by multiple part files).  And that means that some approaches are
skipped.

Here's an example -- the part file for the crater baseplate, 3974.dat, weighs
in at 1Mb - really big for a part file. A few years ago, I figured out how to
cut it down to 600Kb, through a combination of different techniques. I never
published or submitted the results, because it required splitting the file
into 22 subfiles.  If I could use MPD, and contain those 22 subfiles within
the main part file, I would be all over this kind of optimization.(1)

Hey, good point.  Since we're on the topic of crater plates, I'd like to
use this part http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3947bpx1 to hijack this thread
and make an observation about part colors.  As you can probably see from
the picture, the shark crater plate uses a printed stipple pattern to
produce the illusion of a fade from black to blue along the meandering
edge of the underwater river pattern.  I don't think anyone in their right
mind would ever attempt to reproduce all of the stipple dots in ldraw
quads, so the only way left to do this in the current ldraw syntax is by
using many shades of color between black and blue.  I'm not sure there are
enough in the 256-512 range to accomplish this, especially if we're gonna
re-purpose some of them for official brick colors.

I've seen lots of stippled fades in the recent printed parts and stickers,
so I suspect we'll eventually be forced to allow direct RGB values for
printed things, one way or another.  Maybe the RGBs will be in these
newfangled texture thingies.  I don't know.

Have fun,

Don