 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6514
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 04:05:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   The only place you’re allowed to access the contents of an MPD are inside the MPD itself. So, lets take the minifig head as an example. You wouldn’t be able to put its “everything but the face region” subpart into an MPD, because the only logical candidate for the MPD file is the top-level part. But if the sub-part is in the MPD, it’s only available to that single top-level part. Subfiles themselves could be MPD; you just can’t hide the subfiles used by patterned parts in an MPD. Am I making more sense now?

Absolutely.

I wasn’t advocating sticking ‘public’ subparts into the part’s MPD. Just to be clear.

You know, it occurs to me that if MPD’s were allowed as parts, it would be a GREAT place to put a texture file (properly hex encoded, no doubt). They’re almost always single-part-only.

And if one wanted better textures than “come standard?” Upgrade the viewers/editors to search the LDRAW path for a better version, much as they might hi-res primitives to replace in parts.

This would lower one of the “pain points” of going to texture mapping.

-- joshuaD