 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6480
Re: "Dither" colors in patterned/sticker parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:58:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Joshua Delahunty wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:

   However, if there could be a standard for texture mapping patterns & stickers (and parts made by mixing multiple colors of plastic), that would solve this dilemma -- simple patterns could be modeled with color codes, and advanced patterns could be modeled with texture maps. But I’m just dreaming there...

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   That could yet happen (and possibly much sooner than you might expect).

Considering the general pace we’ve alway had with LDraw.org, “sooner than expected” would be impressive. ;)

   Since the proof-of-concept work for texture mapping took place “out in the open” on Facebook, Steve is aware of what’s been done so far.

Actually, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen example source LDR/image files, or even a definition of the syntax.

   I think the real “dream” here is having it widely available, since to add texture mapping to MLCAD without upgrading MLCAD to OpenGL would be quite a bit of work, more than we might hope to see any time soon.

So while there’s a viable syntax and proof waiting to be implemented more widely, and in fact texture mapping is here, today (my Facebook profile picture being a very good example), it’s not imminent for widespread use by everyone without a few more hurdles, unfortunately. :(

True. But now that you’ve accomplished the POC (and assuming the POC is sufficient for widespread adoption), the next step (for the parts library) is to codify a language extension document. Then get it implemented in the software.

Hey! While we’re extending the language, can we also allow MPD in part files?

Steve