 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6503
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:46:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:

Hey, good point.  Since we're on the topic of crater plates, I'd like to
use this part http://peeron.com/inv/parts/3947bpx1 to hijack this thread

... is it hijacking to put a thread back on topic? (even if the title is
changed, it's still the same thread, right?) ...

and make an observation about part colors.  As you can probably see from
the picture, the shark crater plate uses a printed stipple pattern to
produce the illusion of a fade from black to blue along the meandering
edge of the underwater river pattern.  I don't think anyone in their right
mind would ever attempt to reproduce all of the stipple dots in ldraw
quads, so the only way left to do this in the current ldraw syntax is by
using many shades of color between black and blue.  I'm not sure there are
enough in the 256-512 range to accomplish this, especially if we're gonna
re-purpose some of them for official brick colors.

I've seen lots of stippled fades in the recent printed parts and stickers,
so I suspect we'll eventually be forced to allow direct RGB values for
printed things, one way or another.  Maybe the RGBs will be in these
newfangled texture thingies.  I don't know.

Which is exactly why I brought up texture mapping.  Solving gradients with
texture mapping makes a lot of sense, for the reasons you mention.

Steve