 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6469
Re: "Dither" colors in patterned/sticker parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:22:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:

  • Explicitly allow “dither” colors in official patterned/sticker parts. Right now, they are used, but we could not find anywhere in any specification where they are even mentioned. This option would essentially officially recognize the current status quo. (I’m not aware of any “dither” colors being used outside of patterns/stickers, but we don’t intend to allow that.)

I have authored patterned parts, and for me this is the only viable option. This has worked just fine for the past decade, and I don’t see any good reason why it should be broken. The second option (using 0x2RRGGBB) would just be very inconvenient, especially for new authors, and the third option, limiting the color palette even further, would make it impossible to do good patterned parts.

What about the fourth option of allowing dithered colors (i.e. keeping the status quo) but also allowing RGB colors? That would also be fine with me.

  • We don’t plan to allow non-brick 0 !COLOUR statements in LDConfig.ldr, although that’s a separate but related issue. Hence my putting “brick” in the third option.

I would really rather see every color from 0 to 511 added to the LDConfig file, with a ~ in front of the name if it’s not an actual brick (or metal, etc) color. I still don’t see what the objection is to doing it like this; it works out just fine for part titles.