 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6516
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:31:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Joshua Delahunty wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   First of all, let me say that while my previous post probably implied that I’m against allowing MPDs as parts, I am in fact still open to the possibility. I’m just not sure I’m completely convinced by the arguments given so far.

I think this is a good one:

MPD parts would be a great way to store “default” textures for texture mapping (hex encode them). That would encapsulate the design with the part, overcoming one of the big “pain points” of adopting textures. Textures could still be overridden in supporting software through use of an external “hi-res” directory in the LDRAW search path.

I really don’t like this idea. I agree that it has the cool property of encapsulating everything in one file, but it has three big problems that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • “Hex” encoding of the texture file increases its size by a little over a factor of two. (Two bytes per original byte, plus <CR><LF> at the end of each line and at least 0 <space> at the beginning of each line.) This could be improved by using something like base 64, but that increases the complexity.
  • The textures become hidden, and new tools are needed to import them into the part files and extract them back out again.
  • The files become a pain to edit, because 90%+ of the file is made of of encoded texture data.
--Travis