 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6505
Re: "Dither" colors in patterned/sticker parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:53:54 GMT

As has been mentioned already in this thread, there is an ongoing effort to add support for texture maps to the LDraw format via meta commands. What hasn’t been mentioned is that the current LSC is basically in favor of ratifying support for textures. We’re holding off on diving into that until we settle the other color issues, but the fact that we expect it to happen is being kept in our minds as we make decisions about colors.

I intentionally didn’t mention textures in my original post because we (the LSC) wanted to see what the response would be without having mentioned textures. Of course, a number (all?) of the responses were posted by people who were aware of the texture work, which hasn’t exactly been secret.

So, given that textures will hopefully be ratified for use in official parts some time within the next few months, does that change people’s opinion about RGB vs. dither colors in parts? Please note that the texture commands will include a provision for fallback geometry. So, even if someone running, say, LDView were to see the texture maps, someone running, say, MLCad might not. (Note, I’m not trying to pick on MLCad here, but I acknowledge that adding texture support to a software renderer like MLCad has is a lot more effort than adding texture support to a hardware renderer like LDView has.) And if the textures aren’t supported, the fallback geometry has to be used instead.

Some existing high-quality patterned parts would benefit from textures for the smooth gradients they enable. (One sample that’s already been done is the 2x2 tile with Star Wars Rebel pattern.) Some new patterned parts would probably have minimalistic fallback geometry (just enough to identify what the pattern is, but not really look good; the shark crater baseplate Don linked to would be a good example of a pattern that likely never be modeled accurately as geometry). Either way, the fallback geometry would still probably use RGB colors, “dither” colors, or both, but it does change the equation.

Also, another option was brought up: explicitly allow both RGB and “dither” colors in official parts.

--Travis