 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6475
Re: "Dither" colors in patterned/sticker parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:14:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   Please read and respond to this message if you are a parts author, particularly if you have authored any patterned or sticker parts.

  • Explicitly allow “dither” colors in official patterned/sticker parts. Right now, they are used, but we could not find anywhere in any specification where they are even mentioned. This option would essentially officially recognize the current status quo. (I’m not aware of any “dither” colors being used outside of patterns/stickers, but we don’t intend to allow that.)

I would go for this option.

I’m not a fan of allowing RGB values in official part files, I’d rather keep it to color codes.

Unfortunately, MLCad 3.3’s complete removal of support for dither colors (which incidentally breaks it for a number of existing official parts) makes this option less tenable. It’s a bit ironic that most of the people speaking up in favor of dither colors did so AFTER the MLCad release that makes them not work, while the people in favor of RGB spoke up before that release.

On a related note, dither colors are almost certainly never going to be added en-mass to LDConfig.ldr. I believe that everyone in the current LSC is opposed to that, and agrees that that is not what the file is for. At the very least a majority of the current LSC feels this way, so the only way it will happen is via a decision from a future LSC that overrides the official restrictions we will be adding to what goes in that file.

   However, if there could be a standard for texture mapping patterns & stickers (and parts made by mixing multiple colors of plastic), that would solve this dilemma -- simple patterns could be modeled with color codes, and advanced patterns could be modeled with texture maps. But I’m just dreaming there...

That could yet happen (and possibly much sooner than you might expect).

--Travis