 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6498
Re: "Dither" colors in patterned/sticker parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:44:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
Err, what?  No, don't mix color codes and RGBs in official parts!  This isn't an
issue of backwards compatibility. It's an issue of adding complexity where it
isn't needed (IMO, of course).

I apologize for dreaming out loud. For a sec I've forgotten that we are a
conservative community - at least some of us.

Not sure where you're going with that.  I think adding RGB colors to official
parts would not be a net improvement to the parts library system.  It has
nothing to do with backwards compatibility or conservatism.

DOH!  I forgot to include --

Part of the reason I think RGB colors are not the way to go is because they
don't solve the real problem -- there are a good number of patterns that can't
realistically be modeled in LDraw.  Anything with gradients, for example.  It
doesn't matter how much resolution your color palette has, gradients are about
pixels.  Which leads to texture mapping -- a better solution, and actually
*more* radical.  Texture mapping would allow more colors, more resolution, and
less work for authors.

And I'm not against RGB colors entirely, I think they are a great feature in
general.  Just not in the official parts library.

Steve